Re: [OM] PNG? was: Photo Editing for Dummies

Subject: Re: [OM] PNG? was: Photo Editing for Dummies
From: Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:45:02 +0200

Uh-oh - I think there's a big OT-ish discussion coming on dpi, ppi etc.
I suggest you go to http://www.scantips.com/ for an excellent view on all
things scannerish.
best regds
jez

Chris Barker wrote:

> You have all the answers Mark except that no-one mentioned reducing
> the resolution.  I make my images between 700 and 800 pixels on the
> long side and reduce the resolution to 100ppi.  The result with
> medium compression JPEG is about 70-80Kb.
>
> Chris

Righto, I could do with an explanation with this: what do you mean by
reducing the resolution?  I can't understand how image size can be
related to anything other than the number of pixels.  I've never
understood what effect (if any) changing the ppi has on the image.

Roger