Re: [OM] [OT] no more carryons?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] no more carryons?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:59:49 -0700
Well, here we are back off topic again. I'll at least make an effort to add an "OT" signature to this thread. And please, would anyone with objections bother to note that I have not started this thread, as I have never started any OT threads, I only respond to the thoughts of other fellow Zuikoholics.

Anyway . . .

. . . I hope this measure does not go through but I don't know. It's nothing more than a wink and a nod to the real problem before us and would only serve "to keep honest men honest." Meanwhile, the actual problem continues reside . . .

        . . . somewhere out there . . . where we can't see them . . .

        . . . and they must be laughing awful hard on this one.

CNN has had a couple/three interviews with airport workers since New York came down, one yesterday from a man at Logan. The feedback is security's still a bad joke. I'm waiting for the first public announcements by airlines to the effect "We're paying our people as much as they pay in Europe now so everything's okay!" and then stroll through an airport like SFO and eyeball the same "checkers" who stood statue-like beside the scanners the year before. Also, these comparisons to Europe are misleading enough in themselves: I've just completed a tour to and from the continent and while the system "over there" seems better than what we have in the States it is not "good" in my opinion, which isn't even to mention the allusion to safety standards as practised in Israel.

I doubt much of this will change overnight. America is dumbed down, has been dumbed down for some time (over a generation and in spite of New York I don't see a significant change in attitudes around me) , and there's no way it could possibly gear up its laughable airport security overnight or even in a few years to a state which even remotely modeled what the Israel has. First of all the conditions are not close to being the same (Israel has one international airport to secure, America has a multitude, just for example), and in any event we stand wayyyyyyyy back from the Israeli's general attitudes vis-a-vis issues re terrorism in general. New York served in a manner to sting greater America out of its deep stupor, but it will require lots more to stop all this talk and get down to brass tacks. In the interim, it is only natural to see the sorts of "solutions" rushed before the public thus far, the ban on all carry-on luggage being a prime example.

For photographers (for all photographers who do not work for outfits like National Geographic or some other major publication who can afford to either reimburse their employees or own the equipment themselves) the practical lunacy of this proposal strikes home immediately, of course, as I'm not aware of any regular insurer who will underwrite liability for camera gear. If such insurance coverage is available it would undoubtedly exist in a form outrageously expensive from some off-shore re-insurer through a larger house such as Lloyd's, say, all of which would effectively limit such coverage to the "rich and famous" and preclude J. Blow.

Hand my camera kit full of 4T's and Zuikos over to the girl with the painted-on smile at the ticket counter? I don't think so. <g>

Until someone in the USA gets his act seriously together re air-travel safety I doubt if I'll travel to Europe again in the first place, though. I was a white-knuckler before with respect to mechanical issues within the industry; the notion of terrorists onboard plunges a cold dagger to my tourist's heart.

Tris

I doubt that this will actually 'fly' (pardon the bad pun.) The airline
industry is already in deep trouble by taking a hit from less folks traveling
for pleasure, you do this and you will loose many business travelers as well.
Business people need the time on the plane to work, and so will want to be able
to take on laptops, paperwork, ect. I suspect it will be debated, but I don't
see it happening, at least on a permanent basis.

Jim Couch