RE: [OM] Kodak films - some quick notes

Subject: RE: [OM] Kodak films - some quick notes
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:58:09 -0700
More on films:

I've been browsing the Kodak site today. Some interesting points:

* Kodak provides ISO RP (Resolving Power) information in their tech data for
motion picture stock, but not for either consumer or professional grade
films, as far as I could find on their site. Special purpose professional or
consumer films may have the info, I didn't peruse them.

* ECN-2 process films (cine films) differ from professional and consumer
films in having something called a REM JET backing that gets stripped as the
first step in processing. It's "A black-pigmented, nongelatin layer on the
back of the film base serves as an excellent antihalation and antistatic
layer."

* Kodak's general storage recommendations for most all of their film
products are < 55F (13C) at 20-30% RH for most all undeveloped film
products. For most processed film products < 70F (21C) and 20-50% RH. The
general recommendation is 20-300r 30-35% RH (depends on film) for long
term storage at a maximum temperature of 36F (2C). They recommend
conditioning and sealing film for long term storage.

* Kodak warns specifically against humidity for long term storage above 60%
or below 25%. The former because of fungus and mold growth, the latter
because it causes the film to become brittle.

* One huge (and noted in the literature) exception to the info above is
Professional Portra film which is NOT to be stored at temperatures lower
than 55F (13C).

Kodak's site is a wealth of info. I'd recommend it for anyone interested in
knowing more about their various film offerings.

---
Scott Gomez