RE: [OM] How to take a picture of a building at night

Subject: RE: [OM] How to take a picture of a building at night
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 21:35:46 +1000
Tris wrote:

  I don't know about "tricks" but I usually shoot with a hood, even at
night. Also, while bracketing your shot will help in this area, try to
determine beforehand what you want to achieve with regard to shadows and
highlights, and be aware of light hot spots within your field of vision
(e.g., street lamps, a light off in the distance on some other building,
etc.) and adjust your exposure accordingly--by shooting print film you'll be
afforded a lot more exposure latitude with this in mind.

   Yes a hood is very important, you often won't notice flare until you get
the slides/prints back, so you need to be pretty careful.  I would recommend
transparency film, as prints will often be "corrected" by the lab and not
give you the results you visualised at the time of exposure.

  Wayne Harridge
  Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
  http://members.optusnet.com.au/~w_harridge/