Re: [OM] How to take a picture of a building at night

Subject: Re: [OM] How to take a picture of a building at night
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 03:02:32 -0400
You should also try the Auto setting, and see how well it works. My
guess, because of the black, is that you should adjust the exposure
by -1 to -2 stops,but different films' reciprocity failure will
conversely want several stops more exposure. Look on the web for
reprocity failure film for different film's adjustments.

Tom

On Saturday, September 22, 2001 at 14:02, Tris Schuler <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote on "Re: [OM] How to take a picture of a building at n," saying..

> I'd go with 8-10 seconds at f16 for ISO 200, then bracket around that to be
> sure. Depends on the lighting, though, and also the effect you're looking
> for. Also keep in mind that if you're shooting daylight film the colors
> might come out different than you'd expect. Again, that might be a terrific
> effect in the end, but be aware going in.
>
> These kinds of shots are usually made stopped down to ensure greater depth
> of field and thus better chance of proper focus, which is more difficult to
> determine in low-light situations, naturally.
>
> You might also want to try this with a slower film emulsion, say 100 or
> even 50. There no rush up on a tripod when it comes to buildings, and the
> slower emulsion will yield a "better" image.
>
> Tris
>
> >I would like to know how to take a picture of a well
> >illuminated building at night. I will be using a good
> >tripod and an OM-4 with a variety of lenses mainly a
> >24-shift, 135 3.5, and 50 1.4 or 1.8., and Kodak Gold
> >200 film. What I would like to know is what f-stops I
> >should be shooting at. Whther I should be using mirror
> >and apeture prefire. Can I use auto or do I have to
> >use bulb. If I have to use bulb, how long, (in genral
> >should I use it for?) Can I use a cable release? And
> >finally is there anything else, any tips or tricks I
> >should think about when taking the picture, or if
> >there is anything I missed that I have to do when
> >taking the picture. Thank you for your answers
> >
> >Mark Lloyd
---------------  Abacurial Information Management Consultants
Tom A. Trottier, President ICQ:57647974  http://abacurial.com
        415-400 Slater St. Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7S7
        +1 613 291-1168 fax:594-5412  N45.417 W75.705
(after 2001 Oct 14) 758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115  N45.412 W75.714
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin F
ranklin