[OM] RE: [OT] My LAST Farewell from one of the BIGGER enablers

Subject: [OM] RE: [OT] My LAST Farewell from one of the BIGGER enablers
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 21:46:45 -0400
This past summer I have been watching posts to this list
with some discouragement.  I'm sure things that have
happened in my life have complicated issues, but
nevertheless...

Then Oben arrived on the scene and the list went to h*ll for
a while.  It seemed that we were getting back on track and
then, it was Sept. 11.  Many comments floating into the list
were quite predictable and understandable.  Some were, to
me, intolerable.  A few posters seemed to have the need for
the last word no matter to whom they replied.

I sent posts off-list as well as on-list to certain members
asking them to refrain.  One member had previously sent me
an off-list question which I hadn't answered because of his
continuous inconsiderate posts.  That member then sent me an
off-list post stating that he wouldn't stop the obnoxious
posts until I answered his question. There was no <g> in his
message.   Geez. Get the hint man.

This summer has been a little unpleasant for me.  Two days
before I turned 55 (:<) I took a good spill and damaged my
knee to a considerable degree.  Enough that I will be
selling some of my equipment.  If anyone is looking for a
recently repaired  (by Tamron) Tamron 300/2.8, or virtually
mint Novoflex 400 and 600mm lenses, contact me off-list.

Perhaps the accident I had, coupled with a big argument with
my brother has severely dampened my spirit.  But, I do know
that the nasty, snide and inconsiderate remarks that have
taken place on this list in the past week have convinced me
that I do not enjoy this list any more.  Some - no many- of
the posts from certain individuals have shown a complete
disregard for history, knowledge and just plain hard work by
some "older" list members. It just isn't the time in my life
to deal with the nastiness that I have witnessed the past
week.  It wasn't the OT posts, it was the intolerance of
certain members to others asking for moderation of the
nature of the posts. As I mentioned to one member who
contacted me off-list, one of the posters reminds me of
Howard Stern -"if you don't like it, go away".  I am.

I will stay on this list until this time next week.  That
will give certain members that desire, the ability to retain
my address and correspond.  I did stop in Midwest Photo this
past Monday and saw some neat new items.  Members wishing
info can correspond with me directly, I will not post to the
list.  I will not respond to any messages posted to me
on-list.

I hope for the members remaining that the Olympus list
straightens out.  I feel that it is in a free fall.  It has
lost some excellent guiding lights forced away by a few
"know-it-alls".

I have made many wonderful friends on this list: the Jim's,
John P., Rich B., Gary R., Frank, Hans, Giles, Mark, Joel,
the Wayne's, Ken and many, many others.  I have experienced
a degree of honesty, consideration and caring by many
members that has made my heart sing.  Once, I was trying to
determine whether a motor drive functioned, in less than a
week 3 members offered to loan me their complete motor
drives, sight unseen.  My only qualification was that I was
a list member.  Another time, Tom Scales sent me a Metz
flash and a 21/3.5 with the instructions to pay for them if
I liked them and to please evaluate for a least a month.
Another time, Wayne Shumaker sent me a 50/2.0 and a 4Ti.  I
returned the 50 and kept the 4Ti.  Problem was, I forgot to
send the check for the 4Ti.  Wayne never said a word, only
when I was reviewing my correspondence for the past year did
I remember I owned Wayne the $.  How embarrassed can you
get?

I have had the privilege to correspond with members in
Venezuela, the Netherlands, Canada, Australia, Germany and
even Iowa.  This I will miss, I will also miss the ability
to post my "finds" I have made in my travels.  It has been
quite fun being able to help many members to acquire some
"needed" items.

Don't remark that I will be back.  I won't.  I have made my
decision after a lot of reflection.  What I have seen has
not been nice and it has been very unpleasant for me.

Farewell my friends,
Brian P. Huber