Re: [OM] Sports shots

Subject: Re: [OM] Sports shots
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 12:17:14 -0500 (CDT)
I missed the original post, but from your comments, I assume you're
shooting football.

I shoot sports on a freelance basis for a couple of the locals. My
suggestions:

1) 500mm mirrors make great baseball lenses for day games. This
assumes you don't mind the donut shaped highlights in the background.
But for night games and low light, that f/8 is SLOW and DARK.

2) If you're serious about shooting, look for a 300/2.8 from Tokina
or Tamron. A long fast lens is a joy to work with, and you can find
these lenses in teh $1000-2000 range. That's a lot of dough, but
you're serious about this, right? And these lenses are bright enough
and sharp enough to use a 1.4x or 2x adaptor and get usable results.
Oh yeah, buy a monopod - a good one.

3) Get access. See if the local paper will accept freelance
submissions. Offer to be a stringer for the regular sports
photographer. Offer your pics to the coach and players. See if the
school newspaper or yearbook is interested in some shots. Bribe
somebody. Do what you need to do to get on the sidelines.

4) Learn to anticipate where the action will be and pre-focus. Pick
your shots and make them come to you. Don't worry about missing the
action on the far sideline. There will be plenty of action on your
side of the field soon enough.

5) Look for faces. A good face makes a mediocre action shot come
alive, but it takes a hell of an action shot to get past the
liability of no faces.

6) Introduce yourself to the refs/umps/officials

7) Don't worry about distracting the players. They're pretty focused
on the game. They'll prove this by running over you if you're not on
your toes.

BBB

On Fri, 07 Sep 2001 07:28:03 -0500, Jerry Smith wrote:

> ...Does anyone have experience with the
>500mm reflector type lenses like I've seen on ebay?
-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bean & Bean Cotton Co
http://www.beancotton.com