Re: [OM] Sports shots

Subject: Re: [OM] Sports shots
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 14:41:04 +0100
I've got a 500mm mirror lens, and it's a reasonable performer.  What's
let me down with it so far is the fact that it's so light I've often
thought I could get away without a tripod, which at that focal length
you really can't.

Main disadvantage is the fixed aperture, f/8.  Even in bright conditions
it's a pretty dim image, so in any kind of low light situation it may be
rather tricky to use.

Non-mirror lenses of this focal length can be collossally heavy, but
will be sharper and more contrasty than a mirror.  Trouble will be that
aperture will never be very wide unless you spend a whole lot of money.
I've got a 400mm f/5.6 which is very usable in bright light (seems a lot
easier to focus than the mirror) but in low light conditions you'd need
a very firm tripod to get the best out of it.

Roger