RE: [OM] Wedding bells and suggestions

Subject: RE: [OM] Wedding bells and suggestions
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:03:06 +0200
Hi,

Once more thanks to all of you who congratulated me on the upcoming wedding
and also to the ones who gave advice regarding the way to shoot it.

Some special words of thanks:
-Faith: Thanks for the congratulations, it was good to see you participate
in TOPE 6. TOPE 7 is open as of today, so feel free to participate again,
and also feel free to step out of lurking mode whenever you can. Indeed,
Dave is a great enabler for photography related matters, and this will be
even more so the case now that he's hosting the ADITL events, let's all make
sure these events will become a big success!
-Ian: You're most welcome regarding the effort I put into TOPE. :) When I
wrote the scripts I was rather uptied with it, now that the architecture is
fully in place though, I can process submissions pretty quickly. Regarding
the comments, indeed that is still a "fully manual" process (I haven't
written a generator for it yet ;) ), and I encourage everyone to add lots of
comments to the entries. I think it's a great way to learn.
-Bernd: Dutch paperwork, indeed, hehehe, not even at a wedding does one
escape from bureaucracy; imagine the "fun" for marriaging a non-EU girl...
Out came the stack of certified, legalised, translated, ... documents again
;)
-John: Not only did you write the very elaborate wedding tutorial, but also
you never seem to spare any words in elaborately explaining matters on the
list. I, for one, greatly appreciate the time and effort you take to do so,
and I think it merits special mention. Your advice is always very good,
John, so please keep up this good work!
-All: Thanks again for the congratulations! :)

Then, it seems the film recommendations definitely wind down to the Portra
160/400 films. Good, this will indeed become one of the films of choice. It
seems likely we'll be giving the new Fuji 800 ASA film (at least) a try too,
Hans has an extremely valid argument for doing so (besides the descriptions
we've seen of it so far, which sound really good), being that using 800 ASA
film might allow substantially faster flash recycling times at the critical
moments. Good, there are still a few days left before we have to make the
final decision...

Then some specific comments made by John:

> I don't recommend film faster than ISO 400.  Shouldn't need it unless
> you're using some very slow lenses with available light.  I did (do) all
> the available light wedding shots from the back on tripod using
> an 85/2 or 135/2.8 (the forgotten length again).  Could also use a 100/2.8
or
> 100/2.  Which length works better depends on depth of church and can be
> selected at the rehearsal.

Perhaps we need to have plenty of both types of film available, do a quick
rehearsal and light measurement on the day itself, and then we can also
decide on whether to use my 100/2 and/or 135/2.8. The majority of the
pictures will be taken with the IS-3000 though, so the lens speed is not
quite f2/f2.8...

> Had more than enough light for ISO 400 and might have been able to get
away with ISO 160.
> People standing relatively still are not moving enough during the ceremony
to blur as
> slow as 1/15th second.

This is definitely good to know. With a small tripod or monopod this might
become a possibility then.

> Film recommendations:
> I have used Portra 160NC and 400NC.  For B/W I recommend Tri-X.  See the
> Photo Techniques Magazine film reviews on portrait film:
>    http://www.phototechmag.com/buying_colorflm.htm
> Portra did extremely well overall and is relatively fine grained.
>  You want as much latitude as possible, so even if it's not Portra, use a
portrait
> film.  Same reason for Tri-X.  Combine very dark men's attire with white
> dresses, both of which need to show detail, and low contrast with
> restrained saturation is the order of the day.  Grain on Tri-X is soft
> compared to the newer tabular-grain stuff and has a classic look to
> it.  ISO 800 film is just too grainy for me, and unless you're doing some
> very low light without flash, you shouldn't need a film that fast.  Most
> churches are lit about one to two stops brighter than the average home.

The church in question seems to be rather darkish, but then, the light
measurements I made were taken when it was pooring outside. At this very
moment I'm sitting here frying away in my seat, so the weather conditions
will most likely be somewhere in between those. I guess it's best to decided
on the day itself which film to actually use most.

> I know European weddings are a little different compared to ones in the
> U.S. and even then vary by country some.  Make adjustments to what's in
the
> tutorial as appropriate.

Will do!

Thanks again all for the advice and congratulations!

Cheers,
Olafo