Re: [OM] Wedding bells and suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Wedding bells and suggestions
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:32:26 +0000
Congratulations!
I see you did find the tutorial.
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/wedding/
Only subsection left to write will contain some tips on how to recover from certain types of equipment malfunctions, and some "field expedient" tricks to help with that. Everything else is "completed" pending a final proofing and edit.

I don't recommend film faster than ISO 400. Shouldn't need it unless you're using some very slow lenses with available light. I did (do) all the available light wedding shots from the back on tripod using an 85/2 or 135/2.8 (the forgotten length again). Could also use a 100/2.8 or 100/2. Which length works better depends on depth of church and can be selected at the rehearsal. Had more than enough light for ISO 400 and might have been able to get away with ISO 160. People standing relatively still are not moving enough during the ceremony to blur as slow as 1/15th second.

Film recommendations:
I have used Portra 160NC and 400NC. For B/W I recommend Tri-X. See the Photo Techniques Magazine film reviews on portrait film:
  http://www.phototechmag.com/buying_colorflm.htm
Portra did extremely well overall and is relatively fine grained. You want as much latitude as possible, so even if it's not Portra, use a portrait film. Same reason for Tri-X. Combine very dark men's attire with white dresses, both of which need to show detail, and low contrast with restrained saturation is the order of the day. Grain on Tri-X is soft compared to the newer tabular-grain stuff and has a classic look to it. ISO 800 film is just too grainy for me, and unless you're doing some very low light without flash, you shouldn't need a film that fast. Most churches are lit about one to two stops brighter than the average home.

I know European weddings are a little different compared to ones in the U.S. and even then vary by country some. Make adjustments to what's in the tutorial as appropriate.

Again, congratulations to you both!
-- John