Re: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"

Subject: Re: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:22:03 -0400
My choice of minimum kit:

2 OM-4Ti's (8 packs of energizer 357's)
24/2.8 with hood -OR- 21/3.5 and (28/2.8 or 35/2.8) with hoods
50/2 macro with hood from a 35-105 lens
85/2 with hood
200/4
25mm auto tube
T-20 flash
Polarizing filters
Gizto G026 tripod with short center column and small ballhead
LowePro Photo Runner bag
Film: Provia 100F(mostly), 400F(some), Velvia(some), Sensia(some) and
your choice of 100, 400 print film for the higher contrast shots.

Silica Gel, freezer style ziplock plastic bags, lens cleaner, etc.

snorkel mask and fins a must. Leave the fins behind if too much weight.
Get a mask with corrective lenses if you need them.

Some Heavy duty braided cord, Tevas, shorts, sunscreen, velcro strap.

I would expect the macro to get a good workout, and a tripod is
indispensable for that. I find the OM-4t to be very reliable, better
battery drain and easier to focus (for my eyes) because of the dioptric
correction and its what I'm used to. The 90/2 is a great lens but
heavy, while the 50/2 is easy to carry. I found underwater photography
is difficult to do with just snorkel mask and no weight belt (or weight
rocks). I had reasonable success with the 200mm and 25mm auto tube for
catching small wildlife. I will try to post an example in the next day
or so.

I find the F280 is a nice flash for people shots because of the
extension from the lens. I rarely ever use the Super-FP mode. If you
are outdoors carrying the camera around a lot, both the F280 and T32
are heavy. On an island like that, I would expect the flash use to be
minimal, and more often than not for macro shots. The T20 is small and
light. I would much prefer the weight of another lens + T20 than only a
T32 or F280.

You can cut the velcro strap (REI) into short pieces, great for lots of
stuff, like attaching small tripod to camera bag or attaching
underwater camera to wrist while swimming, etc.. Very useful stuff.
For roll of velcro strap - see:
http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=28027&prmenbr=8000

Wayne