RE: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"

Subject: RE: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:23:57 +0200
Hi Patrick,

> On August 21st I leave for Palmyra Atoll.  Don't fret if you have never
> heard of it b/c it sits dead center in the middle of the Pacific Ocean,
1000
> miles south of Hawaii and 5 degree north of the Equator.

Actually, unless I'm very mistaken I think I actually _have_ heard this name
before. Isn't this where back in the seventies a couple went "missing" after
having had the pleasure to share the island with a Marihuana growing couple?
I've seen a documentary on this on Discovery and am quite positive the name
was Palmyra... Anyway, they never recovered the corpse of the man, so if you
want to write hostory, make lots of dives and look for a big submerged metal
food container, as that is where his wife was found in...

Now to get back to the topic of your question; most of the good stuff has
already been mentioned. Take special care in protecting your gear against
moisture (Giles has spoken wonders of his Pelican case), bring lots of
batteries and lots of film. I would say that with Provia 100F you cannot go
wrong, I absolutely adore this film.

Regarding the weight limit, is the 40 LBS a strict weight limit, or is this
an "airline imposed" limit on the luggage you check in? Well, if the latter
is the case, simply bring any and all gear you want to bring as hand
luggage. Nonetheless, your mail to me suggests that the former is actually
the case, so then you'll have to be rather selective as to what to bring.
Tom made several great suggestions, I too would bring two bodies,
nonetheless I would personally simply bring two OM-4Tis (if I had them, that
is - in my case I'd bring the $Ti and the 2n), but that is partially due to
personal preference (gotta have that spot meter ;) ). Lenses you say? I know
you have a vast array of lenses, so you probably have quite a few of those:
18/3.5 or 21/2 (I'd prefer the latter)
28/2
50/1.2
90/2 or 100/2
35-80/2.8
2xA TC

If you can manage to get away with it weightwise, you might want to include
the 300/4.5 too...

> One of my major concerns is flash.  The atoll receives 175 inches of rain
> per year, so the islands are densely covered with vegetation and forest.
> have a 4T and a F280 and the discussion of flash condensers/extenders has
me
> curious.  Is fill flash with a T32 out of the question?

Fill flash is definitely doable with the T32, and as a matter of fact, it
may yield more predictable results than using the F280 in Super FP mode.
Nowadays I virtually always use the T32 rather than the F280 (which is very
slow to reload and, I think, consumes more batteries).

> What about underwater pics?

Get a special underwater camera for that if you want to do this. As an
alternative, there are so-called Hugifot protective housings, but these
would not comply well with your weight restrictions. I have seen underwater
slides made on film such as Velvia, and it looked lovely. I think Provia
100F will work fine for these pictures too, but you may want to bring
something faster as well.

> Anyway, I need some suggestions on what to take.  I'll be staying 12
weeks,

Great, have a lot of fun, and see you back in some 3 months!

Cheers!
Olafo