[OM] OM2S only does 1/60th, sort of?

Subject: [OM] OM2S only does 1/60th, sort of?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:35:14 -0600
 I just got the "Olympus 2 Spot/Program" book (Michael Huber) from a local
library; interesting stuff, if rather confusingly written. One thing that I
didn't know is that it says that the shutter blinds always go at 1/60th, it
just moves the second one very soon after the first one starts, so that
there's only a small slit of film exposed at any time (1/4 of the film if
it's at 1/240th, etc).

 Fair enough, I see how this will guarantee that any given bit of film will
only see the light for the correct amount of time -- but what I don't
understand is how it'll let me take action photos?

 If I have the speed set to 1/1000th, say, then the size of the slit that
moves across will be 60f the width of the frame -- but the left-hand side
of the film will "see" the image 1/60th of a second before the right-hand
side of the film; doesn't this mean that I'll get 1/60th of a second of
whatever motion there is "animated" across the frame?  (so if I photograph a
brick dropping fast enough, instead of getting it frozen in the air, it'll
wind up slightly diagonal in the final image, say)

 thanks,

 -- dan (I guess I could just wait until all the action shots I took on the
weekend get printed, but there's plenty of other reasons that they could
come out blurred, so I'd like to at least eliminate one possibility..)