Re: [OM] OM2S only does 1/60th, sort of?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2S only does 1/60th, sort of?
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:19:31 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:

>  I just got the "Olympus 2 Spot/Program" book (Michael Huber) from a local
> library; interesting stuff, if rather confusingly written. One thing that I
> didn't know is that it says that the shutter blinds always go at 1/60th, it
> just moves the second one very soon after the first one starts, so that
> there's only a small slit of film exposed at any time (1/4 of the film if
> it's at 1/240th, etc).

That's how all focal plane shutters work, except that some of them move
quicker and vertically rather than horizontally.  This is why you can
only flash sync at exposure times up to 1/60s.

> (so if I photograph a
> brick dropping fast enough, instead of getting it frozen in the air, it'll
> wind up slightly diagonal in the final image, say)

Yes, the image will be distorted, but usually not by very much.
Sometimes lenses will give more distortion.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |