Re: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing

Subject: Re: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 22:34:10 -0700
on 8/8/01 11:39 AM, Richard F. Man at richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Something I always wanted to ask. Lets say if I am slightly nearsighted. If
> I don't use the dioptic (?sp) adjustment, I can still get a the focusing
> screen "in-focus." But is the image really in focus in that case?
>
> And what exactly does the dioptic (?sp) adjustment do? Does it affect the
> answer to the previous question?
>

> // richard http://www.imagecraft.com

Focusing you are looking at the *image* as it appears on the focus screen.
If you can see the focus screen sharply, you can focus, because when the
*image* on the screen appears sharp, the lens is in focus. If the needles,
numbers, and scales in the viewfinder window are not sharp, then you need
the diopter adjustment, because you won't be able to see the *image* on the
screen sharply either. Note that due to the magnification factor of the
viewfinder, the image is at a virtual distance farther away than the 2-3
inches physically from your eye, around the pentaprism, onto the screen. I
use contacts for nearsightedness, I can see the finder *image* pretty well
without them, but when I take the camera down from my eye I can't find my
subject...
--

Jim Brokaw