Re: [OM] e*Bay laugh...

Subject: Re: [OM] e*Bay laugh...
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 22:29:27 -0700
on 8/9/01 7:53 PM, Jim Sharp at jsharp@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Isn't it the truth.
>
> I've found in my own case another reason to snipe things. It keeps me
> from paying more than I really want to. I look at the item, decide my
> price, set up the snipe, and walk away... If I get it fine, if not, oh
> well. Before I started this practice, I tended to get "auction fever."
>
> I've yet to go with what seems to be the T. Scales approach though. Set
> up a snipe with ridiculously low prices on anything I might want, and be
> happy with what I end up with. No guts, no glory I'm afraid. :-) The
> funny thing is, it seems to work!
>
> --
> Jim

I usually scope out the auction, decide what I am happily willing to pay,
then wait until near (sometimes very near) the end. Then I place my bid,
with the knowledge that I wasn't outpriced to that point. Obviously once the
auction is over my happy limit I just don't ever place the bid, and delete
it from my watch list, unless I'm curious to see just how high it will go.
Waiting until the end is an effective preventative for auction fever, too.
You only get one shot...
--

Jim Brokaw