Re: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing

Subject: Re: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 08:36:57 -0700 (PDT)
> Hello Ken.
> Do you use anything on your iS-3 as well, such as the Variable
> Dioptric Adapter A  0 ~ -2

Absolutely!  First thing I did was install that puppy.

I want to clarify a confusing concept regarding focus screens
and near sightedness.  If you stand two meters away from a Monet
painting, no matter how near-sighted or far-sighted you are, you
still won't bring the painting into "focus".  Can you take your
glasses of and make a blurred print look sharp?  No.  Focus
screens are just like that.  When you are looking through the
viewfinder of an SLR camera you are actually viewing a
back-lighted picture exactly 2 meters away from your eye.

Corrective Diopters are nothing more than "contact lenses" or
"glasses" to correct a person's vision for the 2 meter distance.

A person who is near-sighted (or far sighted) cannot misfocus
with an SLR. You can have difficulties FINDING the proper focus,
but you will NEVER judge a focus different than the actual focus
point.  Of course this rule is only true with matte type of
screens.  Clear screens used for macro and telescopes are a
different story as they are actual optical elements.

Ken N.