Re: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing

Subject: Re: [OM] eyesight vs. focusing
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 08:30:00 -0700
I have been following this discussion with some interest, since I have
an eye doctor's appointment tomorrow.

I understand that the corrective lenses that Olympus sells will correct
for near and far sightedness.  But what about astigmatism?  Is it not
necessary to correct for this also?

Bill Stanke

"John A. Lind" wrote:

> At 21:39 8/8/01, Winsor Crosby wrote:
>
> >I do not think that is really true.  It would be true if the eyepiece
> >worked like a telescope or microscope, i.e., without a screen. The lens
> >projects an image on the screen.  Your eye then evaluates the sharpness of
> >the image.  Even if your eye needs correction you can focus the camera
> >accurately if you can see a sharp image on the screen.
> >--
> >Winsor Crosby
>
> Theoretically you're right.  The problem I had prior to installing dioptric
> correction was a slightly mushy image on the focus screen, even when it was
> in focus, which is easily confused with slightly out of focus.
<snip>