[OM] charging NiCds (T45) for the first time?

Subject: [OM] charging NiCds (T45) for the first time?
From: "johnsonpa" <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 23:20:22 -0500
I just finished replacing the NiCds in my T45 battery (no I'm not taking a
T-45 to Palmyra!).  I can't tell you how much fun it was :-|
Anyway, I know I'm supposed to charge the batts for 8 hours once they have
been in use for a while.  However, do I need to charge them for 24 hours the
first time around like you have to with a cordless phone battery?
What happens if I need to use the flash tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. EST (It's
11:15 p.m. now)?
Also, any T-45 users have some good advice for me?
What's the best way to diffuse the light/reduce the power when I don't want
to use its full power?

TIA,
--p.j.