Re: [OM] RE: Photo Processing Disaster?

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Photo Processing Disaster?
From: pschings@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 08:51:43 -0400
On Wed, 08 Aug 2001 20:38:37 -0700 Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> Dave,
>
> Have you used this film before? I shot a couple of rolls of Max 800 a
> while back and was not real pleased with the results. As you describe
> the film was very grainy and clumpy. It may just be the film. If you
> have used the film before with better results I would suspect the heat.

When it comes to MAX 800 you want to be careful which version you are
using. Kodak updated the emulsion about a year ago, and it is
dramatically improved over the old stuff. I still see the old stuff on
some store's shelves, though. The improved version has a red triangle in
the upper right corner of the packaging that say, of all things, "New".

The bulk of my shooting is family snaps of the kids and stuff, so I shoot
a lot of 800 speed print film. Before Kodak updated the MAX I always used
Fuji. Not anymore - the new Kodak is that much better. The negatives are
noticeably less grainy under a loupe, although I rarely enlarge the snaps
much beyond 5x7. I haven't heard of Fuji making any changes to their
consumer 800 (X-TRA), but I should probably try a roll again soon and see
how it compares.

Paul Schings