Re: [OM] "Precious" Equipment

Subject: Re: [OM] "Precious" Equipment
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 12:32:08 +0000
At 01:08 8/6/01, Dr Peter Gilbert wrote:
[snip]
Which raises the question - what the heck do pro photogs do to their cameras that get them into such a terrible state? Roll them down stairs? Twenty minutes a day in a cement mixer with some rocks? You've just gotta wonder......

I do many things to protect my bodies and lenses. They still see use though. I also know a several pro photogs, been with them while they worked, and understand how their bodies and lenses end up brassed with minor dings. Film usage is measured at a burn rate in tens of frames per hour. Body cases, lens cases and lens caps get in the way, impede working quickly and are dispatched to a box somewhere on a shelf, if not into the dust bin.

I've infrequently done work at these same film burn rates. When I do, it's without case, cap, and sometimes the strap (all have quick releases). What does go on is a lens hood (for shorter lenses without the built-in hood). This has saved a lens or filter ring from a ding more than once. During times of high film usage at 35 to 70 frames per hour, not getting bogged down with anything becomes very importance.

-- John