[OM] Box from Texas

Subject: [OM] Box from Texas
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 15:24:01 -0400
Hi y'all,

Got a care package from Texas in the mail today. With my heart beating just a little faster I slit the packing tape and take the box into the den to examine. Inside is an original Oly box marked: "Body Only, Black Finish, OM-1n". I pull the top off and inside there's a plastic folder with several manuals/guides plus warranty cards. The warranty card says the camera was purchased new 6-25-79. Under this is the original Styrofoam packing holding the OM-1n body. I take it out and give it a quick look. There's some mistake - Tom's description talked about some minor brassing and scratches but this camera looks mint - wonder if he sent the wrong body? Wait, there is just a hint of a scratch above the right strap lug. Rub, rub with a cotton cloth and some Windex and that's gone. Turn it over and look at the bottom a little more closely. Oops, somebody missed the tripod screw and left a scratch across the bottom but not all the way through the paint. Rub, rub with the rag and that scratch disappears too. OK, there are a few very fine scratches on the bottom but you have to look awfully close to see them. Otherwise, this thing's close to perfect.

Pop in a zinc-air cell and check the meter. The readings look reasonable but I'll check it closer later. Turn the shutter ring to 1/1000 and press the release "snick!!" Turn it to one second and press the release "snick-zzzzzz-snick!!". Man, you gotta love that sound. ;-)

Open up the back Oh well, looks like I need to replace the foam at some point but it IS a twenty year old camera. Try the self-timer. "zzzzzzz" and it stops at about 10 o'clock. Durn, knew this was too good to be true! Wait though, it helps if you've got the shutter cocked you dummy. Yep, now that works like a champ too.

Well, I'm figuring I was pretty lucky to beat the rest of you guys to this sucker. The price was very reasonable, the condition was better than described, and Tom charged me less for postage than the actual cost. Only problem is that now I've got to go out and find a beater body to actually use. This one, like my black OM-2n, is just too pristine. ;-)

Thanks for the great service Tom.

Later,
Johnny