Re: [OM] "Precious" Equipment

Subject: Re: [OM] "Precious" Equipment
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 22:25:47 -0400
Cc: peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
You should consider that many pro photographers use equipment to earn a living, and that the cost of a body or lens can be very little to a significant news agency or magazine. The priority of a major new story might far outway the $4-600 for a body.

I worked as a freelance photojournalist for a couple of years after college in the early 80's (folllowing 4 yrs on the college staff), and I saw what many photographers did to their equipment. They were typically carrying 2-3 bodies (usually Nikon, Canon, or Leica) with prime lenses and there was a lot of banging together of cameras. They got stuffed into Domke F2's or other canvas bags at a moments notice along with the other lenses that were in there. And if one of the bodies happened to hit the ground, oh well!

PJ's carried their cameras 24 hrs/day to get whatever pictures were necessary. I put 100-150 rolls/month through my cameras (OM's), and I knew many who did 2-3x that much. The cameras were tools. In fact, if I had any camera or lens that let me down; it immediately went to the shop, and was replaced by a spare body for the interim. I got pretty buddy-buddy with the Atlanta Olympus repair service during that time, and they'd loan me a spare body or lens if mine was in their shop. Olympus had a loaner program for professionals during that time that was pretty competitive with Nikon or Canon.

Now, I was pretty careful with my equipment, but I still ruined one OM-1 body by dropping it onto a brick walk. It cracked the mirror box and was declared beyond-economic-repair. But many PJ's were unnecessarily rough on their stuff, especially if it belonged to the newspaper. I think that many guys thought that they looked more impressive if they used beat-up equipment. Kind of like macho war wounds, I guess.

Skip

****** I M P O R T A N T   R E P L Y   I N F O ************
Please adddress ALL offlist messages to skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx
This hotmail.com email address is ONLY used for this mailing list subscription and I will probably not notice any private messages addressed here.

From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Which raises the question - what the heck do pro photogs do to their
cameras that get them into such a terrible state? Roll them down
stairs? Twenty minutes a day in a cement mixer with some rocks?
You've just gotta wonder......

peter