Re: [OM] "Precious" Equipment

Subject: Re: [OM] "Precious" Equipment
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 06:16:21 EDT
Re: [OM] "Precious" Equipment

<< But many PJ's were unnecessarily rough on
 their stuff, especially if it belonged to the newspaper.  I think that many
 guys thought that they looked more impressive if they used beat-up
 equipment.  Kind of like macho war wounds, I guess. >>

One day, many years ago (1982?) I was in Jessop's then incredibly impressive
main store, with its computerised checkouts and stock control system (WOW!)
and I think I wasprobably about to get my C*non A-1. My best mate was with
me, and I was holdong 215 pounds in cash, the most money I had ever held up
to then.

There was a guy in front with a lovely black OM-2 - it nearly made me change
my mind - again! This camera had its own special charm - it was a blend of
black and brass. The brass was showing all the way round the film memo
holder, and on every available edge of the camera. My mate said "That looks
so cool!" and it did, in a way. but then you could just leave the camera in a
rotating cement mixer for a couple of days and get the same effect.

Anyway, I have a black OM-2N coming my way at this very moment, and I intend
to take reasonable care of it! Twenty years on, they have a museum piece look
to them, but still somehow look ahead of their time. I cant wait to take it
to the Royal Albert Hall Proms in London armed with a 16/3.5.

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/