Re: [OM] Heliopan filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Heliopan filters
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:24:09 +0000
At 01:12 7/30/01, Michael S. Williamson wrote:
I've started ordering Heliopan filters instead of Hoya.
[snip]
Seems like a lot of folks (filter snobs?) like B+W and Heliopan. I know that a lot of people (including a lot of YOU) eschew filters altogether. For those that don't and like (or would like to try) Heliopan,
[snip]

I'm one of the "filter snobs" using both B+W and Heliopan. My B+W's have heavier rings, but Heliopan's are far from flimsy, and both are brass. Brass is immensely easier to remove from a lens compared to aluminum which can gall with the lens filter threads (been there; done that with Tiffen's before I dumped them). Both B+W and Heliopan use Schott glass for all but a few very specialized filters. They have consistently performed for me better than "no-name" generics, even the single-coated ones. IMO B+W and Heliopan are at the top and essentially equals. Hoya is at the next tier down from them; good, but not as good as the other two. However, I never did have problems with Hoya's coatings and your posting on that puzzled me some. OTOH, the Hoya's I had were from some time ago (10 years plus??).

-- John