[OM] battery dimensions for 357 v/s 625 (was Bid for CLA?)

Subject: [OM] battery dimensions for 357 v/s 625 (was Bid for CLA?)
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:28:15 -0700
on 7/29/01 6:14 PM, Garth Wood at garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> At 07:26 PM 7/29/2001 -0500, Mike W. wrote:
>> Scott,
>>
>> Perhaps I missed something (or misunderstood some previous postings).
>> Aren't both the alkalines and silver oxide batteries 1.5 volts?  I thought
>> that K&S adjusted the meter to work with 1.5 volt batteries period.  I know
>> that he does return the camera with alkaline after a CLA, but won't just
>> swapping for 357 solve the discharge curve problem?
>

> Mike:
>
> To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as a 357-chemistry battery
> with the form factor of a PX625 (the original mercury battery taken by the
> OM-1[n]).  There *are* alkalines with the same form factor, however.  If all
> that the mod is doing is changing the electrical characteristics without
> modifying the battery well's physical dimensions, then you're stuck using a
> battery with the same form factor as the original PX625 (which basically means
> PX625A's, that is, alkaline chemistry).  On the other hand, if the battery
> well's physical dimensions are also modified, then you can use a "silver 76"
> type battery without problems (and the alkalines that have the form factor of
> a PX625 won't fit -- though ones with the form factor of a "silver 76" *will*
> fit).
>
> If the physical characteristics are also modified (as they should be, by any
> one of several methods), then feel free to use an alkaline instead of a
> "silver 76," but you'll get metering errors.  But both you and Tom are right
> -- if the camera's been returned with a physical mod, just throw the alkaline
> away and get a 357 or other "silver 76"-type battery.
>
> I just use the MR-9 adapter, which accepts an SR44 or equivalent into a
> PX625-shaped body that contains a surface-mount component which adjusts the
> supply voltage.  Slick little system.
>
> Garth

I've seen it suggested that the 357 battery is about as thick as the 625A
(alkaline replacement for 625 mercury cell) but is smaller diameter. The
suggestion was to find an o-ring that stretched around the 357 and had the
same outer diameter as the 625. This would keep the 357 centered in the
battery well; if the camera circuitry has been modified for the voltage then
you are set to go with that. I don't know what the correct size of o-ring is
but maybe I'll do some research and find out. O-rings typically cost ~$0.02
or less if you buy any quantity. You could probably get a couple as samples
from any seal/o-ring distributor.
--

Jim Brokaw