Re: [OM] OT- travelling to cuba (u.s. citizen...)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT- travelling to cuba (u.s. citizen...)
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 15:09:16 -0700

I once heard a story that the ones Castro smoked were rolled between the thighs of virginal girls.... ever smoked one 'built' like one of those Tris?

For over forty the years I've smoked (and will smoke) anything you could imagine, Oben. Except the article in question. I'm afraid those are more of myth than reality--except in the White Hose, as otherwise noted already. <g> (And wasn't that sad?)

Ten or fifteen years ago there was an article published in Cigar Connoisseur on the history of the Cohiba band its close relationship to Castro--who by then had long since given up cigars. Of some interest if you happen to be into the history of cigars, no doubt, somewhat irrelevant to cigar smokers on the street today. The simple fact is world's best cigar tobacco is, and has been for twenty five years or so, grown not in Cuba but in places such as Honduras and the Dominican Republic. That well-heeled airheads with no particular appreciation for quality tobacco jostle in long lines to purchase Havanas for five and six times the price this other stuff goes for . . . well, while this madness is all too typical of human behavior in the marketplace in general, it is not indicative of what does and does not comprise a pleasurable smoke after dinner.

As long as this list wishes to remain OT until I leave Tuesday, I'll throw out a short list of Tops 10's in terms of build quality, starting with ultra-mild leaf and running into full-bodied blends. This is the only kind of Top 10 list that makes sense in my mind. Taste is entirely too subjective--from one man to the next opinions will vary a great deal. Anyway, you people can thrash this about while I nestle comfortably on a beach in Spain. <g>

Top Ten Cigars in the World for Build Quality (mild to full bodied)

1. Macanudo (Dominican Republic) -- Mild bodied, exquisitely constructed. You always know what a Macanudo will taste like Jamaica beforehand and what condition it will come to in. Uses the best Connecticut Shade wrappers.

2. Dunhill (Dominican Republic) -- Superb build quality, light to medium bodied. Dunhill also publishes the Montecruz brand, with a more spicy taste, same solid construction/consistent taste throughout. The Montecruz is wrapped in sun-grown Sumatra leaf, Dunhill's with Connecticut Shades.

3. Partagas (Dominican Republic) -- Medium bodied, great build quality, tasty Cameroon wrappers, a favorite the world over. A kind of cousin to the Macanudo band at a step up in strength.

4. H. Upmann (Dominican Republic) -- One of the oldest names in the cigar trade, this line has maintained it reputation over the years by issuing only the best in construction and consistency to its loyal followers. Connecticut wrappers, somewhat of a chocolate after taste, quality stuff

5. Royal Jamaica (Dominican Republic) -- Good build and consistent taste from one box to the next. All in all a winner for medium- Jamaica bodied offerings on the "light" side. Java wrappers, distinctive taste.

6 Hoyo de Monterrey (Honduras) -- Full bodied, good build quality, old and trusted name. This company also issues the Excalibur line, which hint of spice and are somewhat less full-bodied blends.

7. J. R. Ultimate (Honduras) -- Build quality is consistently good throughout the series, but when you get a perfect J.R. it's as good as it gets when it comes to full-bodied smoking enjoyment. I prefer the English Market Selection wrapper. For the price this is without a doubt the best valued cigar in the world. Regardless of price J.R. Ultimates rank as a world-class smokes among those who can tell the difference. If you meet a man who says something different, smile and walk away.

8. Arturo Fuente (Honduras) -- Consistent build, same taste box after box, rich and full-bodied.

9. Punch (Honduras) -- A legendary name in cigars, always known for strength. Punch maduro wrappers are out of this world; this brand's maduro maduro wrappers are jet black and probably come from some other planet. Superior build quality and one of the best-made full-bodied cigars in the world. Renowned for its strong after finish with no bitterness toward the end. a Punch can always be relied upon to provide a manly, distinguished smoke. Sitting down after a great meal over a brandy snifter with a friend? Offer him a Punch with confidence.

10. ???

Come to think of it I'll leave the #10 slot empty. The above selections are suggestions for a quality smoke. If you pick one of these without knowing the difference I can guarantee you'll be putting something good in your mouth. There are other fine cigars out there as well, of course. The list is not exclusive in any sense, not comprehensive by any means. It is a reasonable guide for the curious man out for an evening's pleasure.

Tris