Re: [OM] travelling to cuba (u.s. citizen...)

Subject: Re: [OM] travelling to cuba (u.s. citizen...)
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 07:58:59 -0400
You sure you aren't a golfer?  Your beginning to sound like a golfer.  :)

Gregg

At 09:29 PM 7/26/01, you wrote:

Havanas have gone into the toilet. I was just given a Cohiba a couple of
weeks ago and the build quality sucked big time. And that's pretty much the
highest-profile band left to Cuba--due to Castro's former connection with
it. But then I've known this for years and have told anyone who'd listen,
which isn't many, by the way. The best full-bodied tobacco leaf grows in
Honduras, and that's been so for the past quarter century. On balance, the
best made full-bodied cigars come out of Honduras as well, though of this
stuff is made elsewhere with Honduran leaf. To tell you the truth, I don't
think Cuba's issued a consistently well manufactured cigar since Castro
gave up smoking--or maybe the quality started to go downhill a few years
afterward, but that's a good period to look at for the problem. And of
course Cohiba was his brand, so it's natural that would be the last label
to suffer. But the rest is shit. I've smoked Partagas, Monte Cristo, Simon
Bolivar, you name it. And now that gift Cohiba, and it's only getting worse
all the time.

I'll be in Spain come Wednesday and I doubt I'll buy a cigar while I'm
there. Most of the Cuban issue isn't even hand made anymore. It's kind of
sad, I know it, and that's why I take my own along--JR Ultimate Corona
Tubos this year, I believe.

Tris