RE: [OM] Odd question, nothing to do with Olympus...

Subject: RE: [OM] Odd question, nothing to do with Olympus...
From: "Mike Stephens" <mike1964@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 23:05:24 -0500
I wrote:
>> I drove a Z-06 all day
>> And no, there weren't any rattles.

and Larry responded:

>There better not have been! It was a new car! Give it 10 years.

Uh, actually Larry it wasn't a new car.  It was a year old, with
14,000 very hard miles on the odometer, including about 10 race
weekends.

>Exactly my one and only point. $50,000 should be enough to bring the
quality
>to top level. Any other price difference relates to paying for name.

I believe the car listed for about $48k; you're paying for
horsepower - 385 - and torque, not nice leather or plastic.
Yes, you get what you pay for when you compare this to
a German car.  But those who buy a Corvette are looking
for something different than those who buy a BMW or Mercedes
sedan.  They all have their merits.  The Corvette's is
horsepower, g-force, acceleration, and absolutely neutral
handling.  If it had the fit and finish of a Benz, it would
cost as much as a Benz.

And like I said, I'm no Corvette fan.  I was just impressed
by how far they've come.

Mike