Re: [OM] Fireworks

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireworks
From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 13:39:09 +0200
I was lucky this year that the sky was almost completely clear of clouds which can reflect the light of the fireworks and show in long exposures. I think skyrockets are much, much brighter than the stars. OTOH, one of the brighter planets might show, but if the frame is filled with the skyrocket bursts, it will get lost in it. There was a fool orbiting the sky display in a private plane. I could see his running lights and was worried they would show. The brightness of the skyrockets completely covered them over. I looked for the plane's lights and could not find them in any of the prints.

Thanks!
-- John
[who fully admits there is a substantial element of luck in shooting fireworks]

Isn't there an element of luck in almost all photography that's not studio stillebens? The few shots of my own I can call good, is often composed by 1) a sudden idea or sight and 2) sheer luck. On http://homepage.mac.com/hdahl100/PhotoAlbum.html there's a picture I named Marrakesh street. I like it because of the blurred man on the bicycle. Without him it would be a very boring shot. I was just lucky he came by. The great challenge in photography (IMHO) is capturing the exact right moment. and to me at least thats always 800ck.

Henrik