Re: [OM] Fireworks

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireworks
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 16:05:27 +0000
Almost a month since Mike Lazarri asked his "fireworks" question with Arnab asking follow-ups.

As luck (??) would have it a local pro and friend called me in a near panic as he had committed to shooting the local fireworks to get some fresh pix to one of the sponsors, and then discovered the date for them had been pulled back to the preceeding Saturday (June 30th) instead of July 4th. He also had booked a wedding the same Saturday night. I went out and did them for him using Fuji Reala (100), one of the fine-grained color negative films I could get my hands on in a small town within 24 hours. Usually I use Kodachrome, but they needed prints quickly. Didn't think I would be doing any this year. :-)

Used the OM-1n with cable release on tripod with 35-105 Zuiko Zoom set at f/8 and exposures ranging from 3-8 seconds (based on how many bursts there were. Approximate focal length was almost 35mm, just slightly pulled back from the 35mm zoom/focus ring position. This is the approximate method recommended by a number of list members for sky displays.

Finally got my hands on the prints for some scanning (I gave the unprocessed film to my friend). The three best are here (full frame, uncropped and un-retouched save color balancing):
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om88.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om89.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om90.html

There are some other good ones including green and blue colors, but these were the best overall compositions. I always get nervous about fireworks shots as composition is somewhat unpredictable. It can be hard to tell where a burst will end up in the frame and whether it will burst outside it. I take an entire 24 exp. roll during a half-hour show (sometimes more) and hope for a half-dozen good ones.

Hope this helps those who try this in the future with what they can expect.

-- John