Slot canyons & skylines -- Was: [OM] Zuiko 35-80, worth it?

Subject: Slot canyons & skylines -- Was: [OM] Zuiko 35-80, worth it?
From: "Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:18:05 -0500
Tris,

Austin Skyline -- lessee -- ProviaF @ ISO100, OM-4 & Zuiko 35/2.  Exposure @
f5.6 on Auto with -2/3 of a stop exposure compensation.  Exposure came out
to about 100 seconds.  Overexposed chrome, bad scan.  My scanner (now at the
scanner doctor) could/would not bring up a decent scan from a properly
exposed shot, and as it is, the overexposed shot has so much curve
adjustment you can see tons of bad artifact stuff in the black area of the
sky.  When the scanner returns from Olympus (another 3 weeks!  Argh!  I'm
going through withdrawal!) I'll scan the good chrome and see what comes up.

Factoid: Immediately outside of the frame on the left is a 10 foot statue of
Stevie Ray Vaughn.  My hope was to get enough background light from the sky
to silhouette him, but not on that night.

Antelope Canyon -- good scans, bad Photoshop artistry on my part trying to
lower the contrast a bit.  Antelope Canyon is a slot canyon immediately
outside of Page, AZ.  An amazing place -- it's easy to get wonderful shots
in there -- just hit the shutter release. :)  Those were shot with an OM-1n
w/mirror lockup, probably a 50/1.8 and/or 24/2, on Velvia rated at ISO40.
Exposure times ranged from 1.5 minutes to 8 minutes.  The Ilfochrome prints
(I contrast masked the trannies) are amazing in their detail and color.  I
hope to get back there this fall to shoot the canyon in 4x5.  I've got 5
"keepers" from this shoot, two of which are poorly rendered on the site.
I'll put the balance up this weekend.

Factoid: All of these shots are looking *up* in the slot canyon, despite
their apparent horizontal "attitude".  See http://www.antelopecanyon.com for
more details.  Roger, the guy who runs the tour, is a great chap who caters
to photographers.  I'd recommend him highly.

Dave