Re: [OM] Well, sometimes you just get hosed...

Subject: Re: [OM] Well, sometimes you just get hosed...
From: rdk@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 21:49:07 +0200

The maximum package weight for airmail letter post varies with destination; to
Denmark the limit is 4lb. At 1lb, letter post is consiferably cheaper than
parcel post, but above 2lb 12oz, parcel post is cheaper! From my point of view,
I prefer letter post for packages sent to me in Denmark; although there is no
insurance, the little green customs sticker attracts much less attention from
Danish Customs, compared with the big white label used for parcel post. If the
Danish post office (now a customs agent) stops a package, it costs a $6 handling
charge, and a 29 0uty/tax based on the total cost of the item plus shipping.

regards
Roger Key, Copenhagen

John H. writes:

<< When is a package a letter?  When you take it to the post office. >>

I understand and am empathic to the points you are making, but to
clarify:

When it is under 1 lb., you ship without insurance and you want to save
money over Air Mail - Parcel Post. It's called Air Mail - Letter-post
and its just as fast - at about 600f the Parcel Post price. Boxes are
fine for letter-post.  Doesn't require a Custom's form (the half sheet
white one), so it sails through without any taxes.  Quite popular among
buyers who are willing to take a risk to avoid fees.  Doesn't sound
right for your business, though.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV