Re: [OM] Competition for OM in the 70s

Subject: Re: [OM] Competition for OM in the 70s
From: OM4Ti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:05:18 -0400
Malcolm,
I was lucky in the 70s to be growing up in a family that owned one of the
largest camera stores in the Chicago area. I know, like a kid in a candy
store.

I actually chose the Konica T3 and Hexanon line of lenses at the time.
Though I also had a Minolta XK & XE-7 with quite a few Rokors. When the OM-2
came out I thought it was too small. The T3 with my favorite lens, a
35-70/2.8 varifocal, was a big and heavy package. I had been shooting with
it for quite some time. And there was nothing in anybody's lineup that
matched the quality of that varifocal 35-70. My longer zoom was a Nikor
80-200/2.8 that we had converted to work on the T3 even in auto mode.

My father immediately switched to the OM2 and Zuikos. It took me a while to
make the change. Eventually myself, my father and my brother all switched to
the OM line.

As to the best selling cameras of the time, we probably went through more of
the manual Minoltas and Canons than anything else.

Mark