[OM] Competition for OM in the 70s

Subject: [OM] Competition for OM in the 70s
From: William Green <wrgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:20:54 +0900
> Malcolm Clay wrote:
> What was the best selling 35 SLR model of the time of the
> introduction of the OM1? I am more interested in the "consumer" level not
> the pro models -- something that would have been in direct competition for
> the OM dollar.

I thought that Olympus produced the OM-1 to be *in* direct competition with
professional cameras from other companies, notably the Canon F-1 (1971-81)
and the Nikon F2 in all its versions (1971-80).

Other cameras which might have been in competition are the Nikon Nikkormat
(Nikomat) series. The FTn (1967-75) & FT2 (1975-77) were both mechanical and
had the shutter speed ring around the lens mount like an OM, and the EL
(1972-77) had an electronic shutter.  Canon had the Pellix (1965-) with a
fixed pellicle mirror, the FT (1966-) and later the AE-1 (1976-). The Pentax
Spotmatic range of cameras were in production from 1965-1975. The K1000
started in 1978. The small Pentax you refer to would be one of the M-series,
for example the Pentax MX (mechanical) or ME (electronic) which were
produced from 1976 to cash in on the popularity of the small SLR. Both of
these are smaller and lighter than the OM cameras.

Biggest seller? From what I see second hand, I would guess the Pentax
Spotmatics, but I still think Olympus perceived the competition to be the
Nikon and Canon pro cameras. Was anyone on the list shopping for an SLR in
the early to mid-70s? Can you remember what was on your list? I wish I could
say I was into OM then, but the truth is I was more likely to be in the
market for the latest copy of the Beano and a quarter of Cola Cubes...
Regards
Will