Re: [OM] OM Battery Problems History....

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Battery Problems History....
From: Chris Charlton <c_charlton@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 20:00:09 +0100 (BST)
> I want to make a question... From such a long time
> I've been listen problems with batteries on the OM
> group, specialy on the OM-2sp and the OM-4 (later
> models). Some people give me "solutions" like, "it
> was a problem from olympus" or "on past years the
> batteries where made from silver and work for longer
> time" or "there is a problem with one circuit", I'm
> tired of that !
>
> somebody knows the real story ?
>
> Max

To make it simple, OM2sp's and early OM4's have a
fault which causes an endless drain on the batteries
(when the camera is off) unless they are removed.
Instead of the batteries lasting for example a year in
your closet, they may die at 6-8 months. The only
remedy is to take out the batteries when your not
using the camera. Or in the case of the OM4 have the
circuit replaced with one from an OM4Ti (about
$300)which is improved and doesn't drain the batteries
as quick. OM2Sp circuit boards are no longer
available, so there is not circuit fix for this model.
The reason people suggest you use Energizer 357's
(SR44 equivalents) is because this particular battery
has a good tolerance for the drain that the OM4/OM2Sp
places on it. They will last much longer than other
types.

Chris