[OM] Viewing filter (was Ralph Gibson-seeing)

Subject: [OM] Viewing filter (was Ralph Gibson-seeing)
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:58:43 -0700 (PDT)
> Andrew wrote:
>
> > The other big problem is getting them to see the background as well as the
> > subject before pressing the trigger. Anyone got an aid for that? :)

I have less of a problem with this with my view camera. Two reasons:
I'm slower; I need to play with the focus more anyway.
I guess the best trick once the camera is to the eye is to remember to run
through the entire focus range before establishing the prefered plane of focus.
DOF preview ain't bad either.

> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:28:21 -0400
> From: "John Pendley" <jpendley@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Ralph Gibson-seeing
>
> Fred Picker used to tout this practice highly, with one twist.  He had some
> kind of plastic (filter?) mounted in the slide frame.  He said it gave a
> very good idea of the shades of gray that would appear in a B&W print.
> Maybe somebody remembers or can find out what his gizmo was.  I can't find
> my copy of The Zone VI Workshop.

They sell these still at a pretty dear price ($30+ as I recall). Tiffen makes
one too (From B&H):
Tiffen #1 black/white viewing filter 90-50 $29.50

I believe the filter is essentially the same as (from B&H)
Kodak 3x3" (75mm) Dark Amber #90 Special Color Effect Gelatin Filter
EK1496280 $14.95
Anyone know how easy it is to cut one of these down? If so, we could make
several slides worth.

Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page: