Re: [OM] Zoom lens and OM4T

Subject: Re: [OM] Zoom lens and OM4T
From: "O.C" <oben@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 12:20:26 +1000

The issue is not the variablity, thats a property of the variable
aperture zoom. Its that the OM4T shows so much more (1 stop
of darkening) vs. the OM2n less than 1/2 stop. And its not
the meters either, as the viewfinder and my eye confirm
that the OM4T viewfinder darkens much more than the OM2n
viewfinder as the lenses are zoomed from short to long.

- Parzival

My explanation is that the OM2N has CdS cells metering off the focus screen before exposure. The OM4 uses a Silicon Blue off the film plane. In addition the centre weighted pattern of each may be slightly different. I find that there is very close approximation of metering between my OM 3 and 4Ti which share a SiBlue cell and that they can sometimes be a full stop away from my OM 2 exposure.

Oben