Re: [OM] Zoom lens and OM4T

Subject: Re: [OM] Zoom lens and OM4T
From: "Mark Hammons" <astaire@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 01:06:35 -0500

> > Are you metering a perfectly even toned scene (a blank, evenly lit wall, for
> > instance) as you zoom?
>
> Yes, (read my original post): a perfectly blank wall, and
> completely out of focus (4 ft from wall, focus at infinity).
> The issue is not the variablity, thats a property of the variable
> aperture zoom. Its that the OM4T shows so much more (1 stop
> of darkening) vs. the OM2n less than 1/2 stop. And its not
> the meters either, as the viewfinder and my eye confirm
> that the OM4T viewfinder darkens much more than the OM2n
> viewfinder as the lenses are zoomed from short to long.
>
> - Parzival

This is indeed confusing -- especially since you can visibly see
more darkening when zooming in using the OM-4Ti than the
OM2n.

I wonder if it could have anything to do with differences in the
mirror between the OM-4T and OM-2N.  I know the OM-4T
has that partial reflective mirror but I don't see how this could
be the issue unless the lens is somehow acting as a polarizer.
Is the mirror in the OM-4t physically smaller than in the OM-2N??
If so maybe the "light cone" from the longer focal range is not
being totally interecepted by the mirror in the OM-4T and thus
you are getting a dimmer image in the viewfinder and at the
meter.

Mark Hammons