Re: [OM] Air damper wear?

Subject: Re: [OM] Air damper wear?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 00:06:15 -0700
on 7/7/01 4:03 AM, Bernd Möller at dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Reading the Maitani interview, I thought about the problem of wear of the air
> dampers used in our OM's. These devices must show some wear at some time.
> Damper sealings cannot keep tight forever, I think. The result must therefore
> be a mirror getting louder with the age and the use of a camera. Has this been
> discussed before? Does anybody have experience here?
>
> Bernd Möller

I am not the mechanical genius of the Repair Gods of Olympus that frequent
this list {aside - I sent an OM-2s to John H. for CLA, and it came back
absolutely beautiful... like the day it left the factory! Thanks John!} but
I suspect the air damper operates by letting air by at a controlled rate,
not stopping it completely like an air spring (or those lift struts in your
hatchback car...). So since there is probably a slip fit on the piston
anyway, wear will be very slow if they used good materials (teflon maybe?).
Its not *supposed* to seal, so if it seals a little less over time its
probably going to take a lot of time for the wear to happen. My first
original OM-1 with ~1500 rolls of film over 24 years still works
perfectly... I did get the foam replaced, but that's it. Pretty good in my
book!
--

Jim Brokaw