Re: [OM] 35-70's Your opinions

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-70's Your opinions
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 09:02:33 -0700
Chris C. writes:

<< What are peoples opinions out there in zuikoland regarding the
differences between the zuiko 35-70 F3.6 and the 35-70 3.5-4.5 >>

Are you familiar with my lens tests at:
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

Any good Zuikoholic has both zooms. The small one is an ideal travel
lens, but is slowish in handling due to it's petiteness.  The large one
handles and focuses fast, is rugged and exudes "professional," esp. in
the lens hood design.  But both have barrel distortion at 35mm and the
f/3.6 is lowish in contrast at the corners.

I just did a little shooting of the f/3.5~4.5 in the dunes at the Surf,
California Amtrak beach stop. Knowing it would distort the horizon at
35mm, I backed off some with a narrower focal length and tightened by
composition.  Presto, the barrel distortion disappeared.  I guess the
results of my lens tests did sink in to the point they don't overly
control me when "right brain shooting."  I did it instinctively without
even looking at the edge of the viewfinder to confirm if the distortion
was evident.  But the difference shows up on the sequence of slides.

The same intuition will tell you to choose the f/3.5~4.5 when you seek
high contrast and the f/3.6 when you want to control already high
contrast or go for a lower than normal contrast (than you'd expect from
a Zuiko).

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV