Re: [OM] Re: Smog Filter

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Smog Filter
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:02:25 +0200
Oh I like Serengetis Mike, especially the amber coloured lenses... it
is just that while I did not need specs they were pretty new, and I
did not have the dosh to buy them - they are very pricey in the UK.
Like you, I need specs now and I prefer to use my photochromic specs
to cope with sunshine - fashion shape varifocals on the ground,
Luftwaffe pattern bifocals in the air.  But when it is really bright
above the haze layers we have dark visors on our helmets which are
very good at reducing glare, while maintaining contrast and
visibility... but they don't guarantee me a straight stall turn or
Porteus loop look every time ;-).

OM content: although I get good contrast and colour from my
photochromic/tinted specs, it is misleading when deciding to take a
photograph because the scene is in danger of looking washed out
through the viewfinder.

Oh, and by the way.... I have just found a 40/2 for £150, including
slimline OLYMPUS UV filter.   I just cannot resist it!  It's not a
DorisF, but it is still a satisfying find.

Chris

Chris,

As long as we're veering off topic.....

Can't believe you're not a Serengeti Drivers fan.  I had gotten the impression
a lot of pilots really liked them.  One of my biggest
disappointments with aging
was having to for the first time get real (as in non-reading)
glasses last year.
 I can't see well enough out of my Serengetis anymore to use them. :-(   Heard
a rumor they make a flip up to attach to regular glasses, but I haven't found
such yet.  In the meantime,  I am though eagerly awaiting the release of the
Serengeti Drivers filter series. ;-)

Mike