[OM] Re: Smog Filter

Subject: [OM] Re: Smog Filter
From: DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:25:11 EDT
I have just had an interesting experience that may help with smog, haze,
smaze or whatever.

Next time you who live in So California like I do go to the movies (unless
you have already noticed what I am about to point out)  look at the color
saturation of the scenes shot outdoors.  Now I know they use all sorts of
lights, scrims and so on and have very elaborate setups to get just the right
color temperature etc. for the scene.  But ........

After several years of doing without, about a month ago I got a pair of
prescription, polarizing sunglasses .  Not only did I not feel the need to
squint in the glare out there, but the world looked better (no not just
sharper).  Suddenly it dawned on me, I was seeing the world with more
saturation due to the polarizing in the sunglasses.  The clouds are whiter
and the sky bluer.  Again everything is more saturated. Green plant life,
flowers, etc.

So, perhaps use of a polarizer in moderation would help in photography in the
NW.  I know it's not a cure-all, but it sure couldn't hurt.

There are many on the list who can shed a more technical light on this issue.
 Mine is an anecdotal experience, but I thought I'd mention it.

Dave Dougherty