[OM] OM-1(n): mechanical or electronic shutter? Does it need batteries

Subject: [OM] OM-1(n): mechanical or electronic shutter? Does it need batteries for shutter?
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:27:49 EDT
>From Year 2000 messages:

"Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx> and Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
discussed:
<< The biggest leap both in concept and reality is from the OM-1 to OM-2.
With the electro-mechanical shutter comes battery dependence, but I believe
it's worth it.  It gives you Off the Film (OTF) exposure control and TTL
flash in auto mode.  >>

kamm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
<< I once owned all single digit OMs but havefinally settled with the
mechanical ones.  The OM-4(T) are great cameras, no doubt at all.  But I just
love the mechanical bodies.  I can still remember the first time I heard the
shutter of an OM-3, sweet is the only word for it.  Of OM-1 and 3, I
marginally prefer the former.  It is (just my own view) more beautiful and
more repairable.  >>

Has the OM-1(n) got a mechanical or electronic shutter? Does it need
batteries for the shutter? The OM-3 doesn't does it, for any shutter speed?

I thought that the non-electronic shutter might make the OM-3 possible to
repair in the long term (20 years plus) when electronic components might be
not available. Do you disagree?

Anyway, I would like one [an OM-3, or maybe an OM-1!]. I know that many
serious photographers seem to use the OM-1 and get stunning results.

If you see anyone selling an OM-3, please tell me!

Kind regards,

Dave Bellamy.