Re: [OM] Time for a new camera bag...

Subject: Re: [OM] Time for a new camera bag...
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 07:47:09 +0200
Mike

don't listen to these philistines ; -).  Get yourself  a bit of
British style and class: buy Billingham (www.billingham.com).  I have
3: the 206 (with extra end pockets), the Hadley (original size) and
the Packington.  The 206 and the Packington take the backpack harness
if you wish.

They don't look like camera bags, there is leather, canvas (or Nytex)
and brass and they are light enough to use.  The biggest of the bags
is the 5 series I believe, used by many pros over here (and the Royal
Air Force's photogs for their MF stuff).

I would be wary of trying to put all your stuff in a bag as it gets
very very heavy and it is not good for your back unless you carry it
on your back.  My back aches using a heavy bag for too long slung on
one side.

Chris

If you want something to work out of photojournalism-style, Domke's
can't be beat, IMO.  I've got 8 of 'em.  Pretty much all the models
except the big ones and the Outpacks; and I like them all.  I
especially like how the top flap opens up to let you work.    And
they are very tough.    My other favorites are belt systems from
www.kinesisgear.com, the http://www.mclassics.com/ bag for a small
outfit, www.courierware.com bags for multi-function, and a couple of
old Tenba bags.

BTW, That kit you're talking about isn't going to be light.  You
might want to think about getting something to cart it to your site,
and then work out of a smaller bag.

The best advice that I've ever heard was to take all the gear you
want to stuff into a bag to a very well equipped store, and then try
all the bags that they have by actually putting your stuff in.  I
think it was a photo.net comment.  But be prepared to buy.  It
wouldn't be kosher to do that and then order used or from B&H
(Unless of course, you did this maneuver in B&H's store.)

The F2's are readily available used, and offer a lot of room and
flexibility.  You can use other compartments, like Tenba's, if you
don't like Domke's.

Many people like Tamracs, but I seem to always avoid them.  Too
camera-bagish for me.

Skip