[OM] I need your help, or: Photo Altering Ethics

Subject: [OM] I need your help, or: Photo Altering Ethics
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 13:46:02 -0000
Hi,

: JavaScript in the head of the page will disallow right : clicks--period.

Of course you're fooling yourself if you think such a script protects your pictures from being downloaded. Only unexperienced Internet users may be stopped by it.

Indeed, apart from using the browser's cache as you already mentioned, here are two other ways to grab the content. Note, this is an excerpt of a reply I sent to some bloke a while ago who wanted to trade a link to his page for the Javascript code to prevent right clicks in his page "so people couldn't steal his code". I took this as a funny challenge, and within 5 minutes I had found two ways to get his code and mailed it back to him :)

Anyway, here goes:

****
One thing though: did you realise that the right click code is
interesting, but not completely fool-proof? I gave it a short try and
found at least two quick ways of obtaining your code:
1-Start Netscape, open "Edit->Preferences->Advanced" now disable the
"Enable Java" and "Enable Javascript" options and bring up your page.
If you now try to right click it works, and your complete source code
is revealed. I believe there is actually a workaround for this issue
(but I did not completely check to see if you have this already in
place, so perhaps I am mistaken), which would be to have a NOSCRIPT
section in your page. As mentioned, I am not 100ure whether that
will _only_ output the text between these tags to the browser, or
whether it still contains the full page, but you might give this a
try.
2-This is a much more advanced way, and I cannot think of a cure
against it:
-Install ActiveState Perl (obtainable from www.perl.com)
-Run the following command from a DOS box:
perl -MLWP::Simple -e "getprint
'http://www.angelfire.com/weird/overload/Hyperlinks.html'"
-This then grabs your full page as an HTTP stream (i.e. this contains
your page). From viewing the source code, it becomes clear that you
use two frames, of which the main one loads a subpage called
"Green_Machine.html", so now run:
perl -MLWP::Simple -e "getprint
'http://www.angelfire.com/weird/overload/Green_Machine.html'"
-This then again shows the full source of that file, including both
Javascript hacks you mention in your message...
****

Something to consider when trying to use Javascript to protect pages...

Cheers!
Olaf