Re: [OM] I need your help, or: Photo Altering Ethics

Subject: Re: [OM] I need your help, or: Photo Altering Ethics
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 19:18:53 +0200
: >This thread does raise an interesting question though. Is there a way to
: >protect online images from being downloaded? My personal site was developed
: >with Flash, so the simple 'right click', 'save image as' will not work.
: >However, a determined individual with a third party software can download my
: >entire site, break it apart and steal the images. Not that anyone would
: >really want to steal my pictures...

: JavaScript in the head of the page will disallow right clicks--period.

Of course you're fooling yourself if you think such a script protects your
pictures from being downloaded. Only unexperienced Internet users may be stopped
by it. By opening an Internet page a local copy of the page and all images it
contains is put on your local harddisc, where it can easily be found in the
Temporary Internet Files folder. You can even find them easier by deleting all
temporary Internet files before opening the page, or by copying the entire page
(File/Save As) to a local folder. Another way is a printscreen, and paste the
image in a graphical editor. There are also tools that can grab images inside
flash pages, including flash pages. And if everything else fails you can make a
photo of the screen.

If you don't want your work to be copied, don't publish it on the Internet. Or
publish it in such small dimensions that it is useless for others.

hnz