RE: [OM] I need your help, or: Photo Altering Ethics

Subject: RE: [OM] I need your help, or: Photo Altering Ethics
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 11:12:46 -0700
One possible protection for on-line images:

http://www.digimarc.com

embeds an invisible "watermark" which is readable by many major software
editing programs, and even via a browser plug-in. No affiliation, I don't
even use the software, etc., etc.

---
Scott Gomez

Are we really worried about the theft of the small 70 dpi images with lossy compression we put on the web? What can they be used for that takes something from us? If my photo ends up as someone's desktop picture it does not bother me very much.

It seems to me that Susan's picture situation is different. The original design is being stolen. That is the item of intrinsic value being taken. How it is represented on the web with an altered photo or a new photo of the copied design is kind of immaterial. It is not surprising that someone without the imagination to do more than copy someone else's design would also try to copy the camera set up.

Winsor

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California