Re: [OM] 55mm f/1.2 [was: Re: olympus-digest V2 #2405]

Subject: Re: [OM] 55mm f/1.2 [was: Re: olympus-digest V2 #2405]
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:15:25 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:

 >On further reflection (heh,heh) on the 55/1.2, I wonder if that intense
 >yellow reflection bouncing off the front element of that lens is intended
 >(courtesy  of it's single coating) as an attempt to dump a bit of yellow
 >light to compensate for the slight yellowish cast of it's rare earth
 >element?
 >
 >Chip Stratton
 >cstrat@xxxxxxxxx

 I suppose you could put a color compensating filter on any of them to
 achieve the look of the other.

 Winsor

The shift in color can be complex, a simple blue filer may not be able
to correct it. Also, color filter cause light loss, it kill the high
speed lens benefit.

C.H.Ling

I considered that, but if someone wants to put up with softness and vignetting to shoot wide open with the 1.2, they might as well put up with its native color cast, too. The filter, assuming a pleasing one could be found, could be used at the smaller apertures. Like you, I don't think the fraction of the F stop gained is worth it. I like my 50/1.4 for sharpness, uniformity and color rendition.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California