[OM] Re: First Efforts with 50/3.5 Macro

Subject: [OM] Re: First Efforts with 50/3.5 Macro
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:28:22 -0700
I just got back some prints of shots I did in Balboa Park.  These were shot
on Gold 200, OM-2, Auto Mode.

I am still learning about the depth of field ( or lack of it) in Macro shots.
 Practice will help alot.  I also find that when I use the depth of field
preview the image becomes so dim that I can't really see it.

So, a few questions to the group:
1.  The OM-2 has the older speckling on the metering area, so it averages the
whole image.  Am I correct on this?  White flowers are over exposed, while
darker ones are right on.

2.  Would I benefit materially by getting a 2-13 screen to replace the 1-13
that is in the camera now?  Or, should I carry a small mag lite to illuminate
the image while I check depth of field?

3.  I have another OM-2 with the other meter pattern.  Will it work better
for Macro as it averages the central part of the image?  Or should I simply
do what I should do and bracket?
I try to use available light as I don't have a macro flash set up yet.  My
Zuikoholism will change that I know, sigh.

Here's the URLs for a couple of the shots.  Any input would be appreciated.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1032782&a=12879332&p=48410319
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1032782&a=12879332&p=48410323

Thanks,
Dave Dougherty

Dave,

Did you scan the prints or the negatives? Maybe the negs are fine and the auto printer just messed up. Just looking at the photos on the web site it looks as if the dark background is causing the camera to give too much exposure. A gray card is cheap. Take it with you and meter it. The palm of your hand is cheaper, but you have to learn how much to adjust from what it reads. Then bracket your exposures. More expensive alternatives: One of those ping pong ball filter things to turn your camera into an incident light meter, or a real incident light meter.

Winsor

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California